What is a Physician Champion?
A Physician Champion is a voice for families and children who need early intervention services.
Physician Champions serve a key role in the development of the Help Me Grow system and outreach to child health care providers. They are devoted, passionate physicians who give the system credibility and authority, particularly for the physician community. The ideal Physician Champion has a background in developmental or behavioral medicine, along with strong connections to their local chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics and/or the Academy of Family Physicians and university medical schools.
The Help Me Grow system supports pediatricians by enhancing their effective developmental promotion and early detection routines for all children and families. Our Physician Champions are collaborative partners who educate and motivate child health care providers to conduct systematic surveillance and screening of young children. In addition, Physician Champions can serve as a care coordination arm for busy pediatric primary care practices.
Current Physician Champions
- 2-1-1 Big Bend
- Dr. Susan Cross
- 2-1-1 Brevard
- Dr. Preeti Bimbrahw, Viera Pediatrics
- Dr. Wendy Lockhart, Chief of Pediatrics, Brevard Health Alliance
- 2-1-1 Palm Beach / Treasure Coast
- Jeanmarie Conner, M.D., Premier Pediatrics
- Irma E. Romero, M.D., Kid’s Place Pediatrics
- Michael Sonenblum, M.D., FAAP, Pediatric Associates
- Alfonso J. Henriquez, M.D., FAAP, Soma Medical Center
- Dr. Marza Penny, M.D., Penny Pediatrics
- 2-1-1 Tampa Bay Cares
- Sarah Kelley, M.D., Community Health Centers of Pinellas, Inc.
- Children's Home Society of Florida
- Dr. John Colon, Alachua County Department of Health
- Early Childhood Council of Hillsborough County, Inc.
- Carolyn L. Marasco, M.D, Carrollwood Pediatrics
- Early Childhood Coalition of Duval
- Letisha B. Jefferson, M.D., FAAP, The Carithers Pediatric Group
- Early Learning Coalition of Flagler & Volusia Counties
- Edwin E. Prevatte, M.D., FAAFP, Penny Pediatrics
- Michael Shane Carter, D.C., M.B.A., CHPC, Dean of Clinical Affairs, Palmer Chiropractic Clinics
- Early Learning Coalition of Lake County
- Lorna Bennett, M.D., Bennett Pediatrics
- Early Learning Coalition of Marion County
- Jadira Irizarry-Padilla, M.D., Heart of Florida Health Center
- Diana Ancona, ARNP, Heart of Florida Health Center
- Sondra Smith, ARNP, Community Family Healthcare
- Early Learning Coalition of Northwest Florida
- Ahmed Rezk, M.D., Rainbow Pediatrics
- Northwest Florida Community Hospital
- Heart of Florida United Way
- Alfonso Mireles, M.D., Nemours Children’s Health System